Wednesday, July 16, 2008

MY FIELD WORK

I just arrived from my field work in Sto. Tomas, Davao del Norte. I would describe the place as the banana capital because the place is surrounded with bananas owned by the Floirendo Family. From Davao City to Sto. Tomas, it would take around a hour and a half before reaching the municipality. I never drive a car, so have no option but to take the public bus ride going to the area. There are air conditioned buses but I was not fortunate enough to ride one. I have to squeeze my way into the bus and take what ever chair is available because the bus was small. The seating capacity is about 50 and based on my count, we were already around 70 people. In other word, overloaded.

When I arrived in the area, I immediately noticed that there were some changes because the bus entered the market area, which never usually do before. I immediately proceeded to the location of the credit applicant. I observed the business condition and customer flow in the store. Based on my observation, the subject is doing well. I saw many customers buying in the grocery store. The subject has transferred to a new location. in 2007, the store was just occupying a semi-concrete building. It is considered a fire hazard because of the building materials. Now, the subject has constructed a concrete building, safer than the old one.

After observing for one hour, I have to go back immediately because traveling in the late afternoon can be very dangerous because the place is notorious of hold-ups and the strong lefties influence. The road has improved since my last visit. Almost 98% of the main road is made of concrete cement and the bus that I was riding didn't have a hard time in the road travel. I arrived in Davao City around 5:30 pm, safe and sound.

No comments: